Saturday, November 5, 2011

Breeders' Cup: Côa defies odds after the riding accident

E-Mail

LOUISVILLE, KY - if Eibar COA is a big drama to victory in the 2010 breeders' Cup Sprint it was, surprise. If COA entering the paddock, big drama for the 2011 Sprint burdened with getting to see it was a miracle.

COA was scheduled back Saturday, less than nine months since he temporarily was paralyzed links from the neck down after breaking the C-4 vertebra in his neck in an accident riding, Gulfstream Park on 18 February his best time. the original prognosis of Côa doctors was poor, but he has beaten the odds and is on the way, what will he hopes of a full recovery.

"after my surgery immediately after the accident, I was still considered a quadriplegic, and doctors do not give me much chance of recovery," COA, 40 years old from Venezuela, said Friday. "But I never hope abandoned." It took over a month to start and a half, some movement back, and after two months I was very confident that I can walk again. "Right now, I have again about 70-80 percent of the normal function, but I'm still working on and participation in rehab in Florida for two hours a day."

COA said that he clearly Gulfstream remember the incident on the lawn, which caused his injuries. COA was cut off on board precious Lady, moments after the heels with a different horse moving until after the sixth race.

"I never aware at any time lost," said COA. "sometimes I look back and try to think if there was anything that I could have done so that things could have shown otherwise." But I've come quite accept the fact that it happened and I'm happy just to be able to get up and move again. "I consider myself not a victim but a survivor, and I really think it's a wonder I have been able to make this type of recovery and, which I'm Cup able, the breeders' this year."

COA credited his wife, as well as Rebeca, which above will be the Sprint by his side in the Paddock on Saturday, and his family for giving him the strength of his fight, especially in the first days and weeks after the incident.

"The support of my wife, who was with me 24 / 7 since the first day, and my family key for my recovery safely," said COA.

COA said that it a sentimental moment will be when he goes to the paddock and faces the Sprint with coach David Fawkes and owner breeder Harold Queen next to great drama. COA is one of the best races of his career continued to break big drama on the lead, then let up, which go him deeper along the track a wire to wire win in the Sprint 2010 to register, driven in the South Florida-based Vx220, an ultimate Eclipse Award as one of the best sprinter of the year.

"Of course, I would love riding big drama as opposed to just there on Saturday" COA said. "But Dave [Fawkes] has always helped me in my career in the past supported and the opportunity has come here to support the team, is something that I really wanted to do." I saw his last work in Florida. He looks very fit, and he is my best bet Saturday.

COA said all the costs of his drive from his home in South Florida to Louisville of the jockeys' Guild picked up.

Despite his injuries and the fact of the kind that, which he, that he is happy know, just to walk again, COA has not abandoned hope for the return to the saddle one day.

"At the top for sure, especially after I started again some movement, I was very hopeful I would be able to ride again", said COA. "But even if I have made so much progress the last few months, I am beginning to realize that the window is closed slowly." My goal for this year is his back to 100 percent. "Maybe I'll start me next year, what to do with the rest of my life permit."

Although it is unlikely that COA will go back, the old family will continue. COA said his son, Keiber, 19, graduate of the famous Laffit Pincay riding school in Panama on Dec 8 to and hopes, his career this winter start riding on the Southern California

"I would like to spend some time with my son when he comes in California, and it much should keep me busy only coaching him for a while,", said COA. "And I'm very excited, get a replacement in the family as quickly have."

Related posts:

Breeders' Cup: O'Brien conditional stay on main road Friday, sea has Moon simply lawn BreezeEx-NASCAR Sprint Cup driver Jeremy Mayfield arrested for drugs: fan-look Rugby World Cup 2011: Ryan Jones are violations FearSteelers season riding on Harrison's BackMonday is little things - AgencySpy

View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment